Sunday, February 12, 2012

Can anyone translate English to Japanese?

I need help naming one of my character's weapon. Her weapon looks something like a spear and battle axe combined. On one side the axe blade resembles a dragon wing, the other looks like fire. The 'wing' controls wind and the 'fire' controls....well....fire. =_= '


The spear head controls water/ice. I want to call the weapon 'Dragon Staff' (It reverts to something like a wizard's staff when not being used) and because the one who raised and gave her the weapon was Japanese, I want the name to be in Japanese. Unfortunately I only know snatches of words and phrases. If you could translate 'Dragon Staff' I would appreciate it. I know sometimes there isn't an exact translation for some things so don't worry too much of being precise. I'm open to any other suggestions, both English and Japanese. Also I can't read katakana or kanji so if you do type in either one, have pity on me and also type it out in the english alphabet so I can read it. : P


Thank you!|||Here are some different ways to say that


Ryuu seisou (Dragon holy spear)


Ryuu tsue (Dragon staff (as in a cane or walking stick))


Ryuu kongojou (Dragon staff (as in a pilgrim's walking stick))


Ryuu nyoi (Dragon staff (as in a priest's staff))





Hope you can use one of these!!|||Ryuubou is probably the best match for "Dragon Staff". The Asian "bou" or "bo" is similar to the English quarterstaff.



One issue is that this weapon sounds more like a Chinese Ji or Japanese Naginata or Nagamaki.|||Another pronunciation for dragon is "tatsu" See if you can come up with a good combination with this option as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment