Monday, January 23, 2012

How would you translate this from Japanese to English?

How would you translate the Japanese sentence "僕は友達でいたかった" to English? I know the separate words and their meanings but I have trouble understanding the idea. Help?





(And please don't tell me to use online translators, they're not helping!)|||僕は友達でいたかった = "I wanted to be his/her/their friend" or "I wanted to remain friends"





In the sentence (as is with most Japanese sentences), the person isn't really defined. The speaker is the subject in the sentence, but who is being referred to is ambiguous in this sentence alone. You'd know exactly who is being talked about depending on context. But the sentence itself would have an "invisible" object and otherwise mean "his/her" or "their."

No comments:

Post a Comment